Friday, March 30, 2007

4th Time Around

When she said,
"Don't waste your words, they're just lies,"
I cried she was deaf.
And she worked on my face until breaking my eyes,
Then said, "What else you got left?"
It was then that I got up to leave
But she said, "Don't forget,
Everybody must give something back
For something they get."

As long as I can remember, I've never wanted to be a taker. I think it's because I've been given so much, it just seems selfish. I am fortunate. My family has been able to give me so much more than some ever see. I can't just take it and run. I have to turn it into something for someone else. When a tree grows in the forest, it takes everything it needs to become a tree from the soil it lives in, and from the water that falls around it. When that tree's life is over, it falls to the ground and rots, giving back everything it took, so that the next generation can start off a little better than the last. Some people want to penalize you for advantages that you've been given where they haven't. Those people are fighting the wrong battle, their greatest enemy is their own self. Those that know better can look past this and see only their goal. My goal is to give something back for everything that I have got.

And, when I was through
I filled up my shoe
And brought it to you.
And you, you took me in,
You loved me then
You didn't waste time.
And I, I never took much,
I never asked for your crutch.
Now don't ask for mine.
- Bobby Zimmerman

No comments: